Before Barack Hussein Obama entered the White House on the fateful day of January 20, 2009, he had already begun a legacy of far-reaching implications. Now after eight years in the White House, President Obama has left a legacy that will be debated for decades to come.
I have heard someone mention that at least no one ever could prove a scandal against President Obama. To which I would love to have responded, “What planet have you been living on in the past eight years?”.
Before Obama took office, he vowed, “We are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America.” But what did that actually mean? It’s much like Nancy Pelosi in her infamous words, “It’s going to be very, very exciting,” stating that Congress “[has] to pass the bill so you can find out what’s in it, away from the fog of controversy.” Now that we have the past eight years to reflect, we can now see what Mr. Obama meant about his vision of the transformation.
What effects has an Obama presidency had on the USA? The following are lists and links that help us see in a bullet list what effects it has had (some bold and italic uses are mine):
Transformed Abortion Issues
What this means to Pro-Life Organizations:
President Barack Obama’s Shameful Legacy on Abortion – LifeNews.com
- Before he became president, voting several times against the Born Alive Infant Protection Act, which would force abortionists to provide life-saving care to babies who survived abortions.
- He repealed the Mexico City Policy, which prohibited tax dollars from going to international organizations that do abortions.
- He signed an executive order that allowed tax dollars to fund unsuccessful embryonic stem cell research.
- Rolled back conscience protections so that healthcare professionals would not be forced to perform abortions if they were opposed to doing them.
- Nominated Kathleen Sebelius for the position of the secretary of Health and Human Services, one of the most pro-abortion governors in the nation
- Vetoed a bill that would have restricted late-term abortions.
- Pushed through Obamacare, which forces taxpayers to fund abortion.
- Made it his mission to compel nuns, the Little Sisters of the Poor, to pay for health plans that include abortion-inducing drugs, which the Church is morally opposed to.
- Nearly shut down the government over taxpayer funding of the nation’s largest abortion provider, Planned Parenthood, in 2011.
- During his administration, Planned Parenthood has continued to receive an astounding amount of money from taxpayers and has dramatically increased its share of the abortion market, doing 15 percent of all abortions in 2000 to 32 percent in 2011.
- After the horrific Center for Medical Progress videos showed high-level Planned Parenthood executives discussing the harvesting and sale of body parts of aborted babies, President Obama issued his eighth veto and first ever veto of a pro-life bill, forcing taxpayers to fund Planned Parenthood, to over half a billion dollars.
Obama pledged to Planned Parenthood: “I will not yield” to pro-life concerns – catholicnewsagency.com
- Obama attacked the Supreme Court decision that upheld the federal partial-birth abortion ban and the nomination of Supreme Court justices who favor overturning Roe v. Wade. He said, “There will always be people, many of goodwill, who do not share my view on the issue of choice. On this fundamental issue, I will not yield and Planned Parenthood will not yield.”
What this means to Abortion Rights Advocates:
- The Obama administration is trying to protect Planned Parenthood’s federal funding before the president leaves office. The Department of Health and Human Services finalized a regulation that says states that award federally funded grants for women’s health programs can’t discriminate against Planned Parenthood.
Obama to headline Planned Parenthood gala – USAToday.com
- President Obama addresses Planned Parenthood‘s annual gala. “President Obama has done more than any president in history for women’s health and rights,” Planned Parenthood Federation of America President Cecile Richards said.
- Obama reaffirmed that he favors abortion rights. “What I can say is this: You know, I think, President (Bill) Clinton said it pretty well when he said abortion should be safe, legal and rare,” Obama said.
- Obama praised Planned Parenthood and told members he would fight Republican efforts to cut their federal funding.
Remarks by the President at the Planned Parenthood Conference – WhiteHouse.gov
- Cecile, thank you for the outstanding leadership that you’ve shown over the years. You just do a great, great job. I want to thank all of you for the remarkable work that you’re doing day in, day out in providing quality health care to women all across America. You are somebody that women — young women, old women, women in between — count on for so many important services. And we are truly grateful to you.
- Thank you, Planned Parenthood. God bless you. God bless America. Thank you.
Transformed Gay Rights and/or Same Sex Marriage Issues
What this means to traditional views:
- President Obama issued a stern warning to Christians, warning them their attempts to assert their religious liberty to oppose gay rights would fail.
Franklin Graham blasts Obama for ‘gay marriage’ ruling – OneNewsNow.com
- Franklin Graham couldn’t disagree more with President Barack Obama’s declaration of the Supreme Court ruling as being a “victory for America,” contending the commander-in-chief will be judged for leading the nation’s moral defeat.
- “’There has been an incredible shift in attitudes across the country,’” Graham quoted Obama, noting that he was categorically right, before clarifying that the shift was nothing to celebrate. “But it is definitely not a shift for the good of America.”
- “The shift in attitudes he refers to is the moral decline we are seeing manifest daily around us,” Graham wrote, referring to Americans’ growing proclivity to embrace a Leftist immoral agenda — rather than stand by God’s moral code.
- Americans are now not only tolerating behaviors declared as sin in the Bible — they are celebrating them, while encouraging those who have led the revolt against biblical morality to keep up the “good” fight for “equality.”
- “Accepting wrong as right — accepting sin as something to be proud of — yes, that’s definitely a shift,” Graham stressed.
- While championing his administration’s ongoing effort to forward the LGBT agenda, Obama touted the fact he raised the number of states that legalized same-sex marriage from two when he was inaugurated as president in 2009 to 37 just before Friday’s SCOTUS decision to legalize it nationwide.
Rainbow Blight: Obama’s LGBT Legacy – FRCAction.org
- Americans have watched an almost eight-year parade of LGBT activism from the rainbow flags at U.S. embassies to global bullying on homosexuality.
- The administration announced a new rule that puts faith-based aid groups in the crosshairs of the far-Left’s crusade for genderless bathrooms, showers, and other facilities.
- A new rule went into effect that explicitly prohibits discrimination by USAID contractors. This rule means that any organization that contracts with USAID must ensure that all people can benefit from its federally-funded programs, regardless of… sexual orientation and gender identity.”
- Translation: any organization with moral objections to the president’s LGBT agenda will be ineligible for government aid contracts. Groups like Catholic Charities, for instance, which offer international help to the poor, homeless, diseased, and hungry, would be stripped of their government partnerships. Taking this to its logical conclusion, “Disaster relief agencies may now be required to open their women’s shower and sleeping facilities to biological males who self-identify as women or be stripped of all federal funding for alleged ‘gender identity discrimination'”.
What this means to liberal views:
Obama on same-sex marriage ruling: ‘We have made our union a little more perfect’ – WashingtonPost.com
- President Obama hailed the Supreme Court’s ruling to protect the rights of same-sex couples to marry, declaring that the decision has “made our union a little more perfect.”
- Obama cast the ruling as a historic moment in American history that capped decades of progress for the gay and lesbian community, sometimes driven by “anonymous heroes” who endured taunts and bullying.
- Obama endorsed same-sex marriage in 2012, becoming the first U.S. president to fully embrace that level of civil rights for gays. “I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married,” Obama said.
- Obama said “I always felt that same-sex couples should be able to enjoy the same rights, legally, as anybody else and so it was frustrating to me not to, I think, be able to square that with what were a whole bunch of religious sensitivities out there.”
- Obama said the court ruling would end the “patchwork” system of local laws on same-sex marriage and end the uncertainty facing gay and lesbian couples.
President Obama: ‘LGBT Rights Are Human Rights’ – Advocate.com
- On the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia, President Obama has released a statement reminding nations around the world of “the simple truth that LGBT rights are human rights.”
- The Obama administration conducted a week of pro-LGBT actions, including:
- A lawsuit filed against North Carolina’s anti-LGBT House Bill 2,
- A directive that schools receiving federal funds must allow transgender students access to the facilities that correspond with their gender identity, and
- The finalization of an Affordable Care Act rule mandating that federally funded health care providers cannot deny transgender patients access to transition-related services.
- Obama took action to protect federal employees and contractors against anti-LGBT discrimination, and he has spoken out against homophobia and transphobia in other nations.
What this means to traditional views:
The Impact of ObamaCare – Heritage.org
- The law cuts an estimated $716 billion from Medicare over ten years. However, these “savings” are not set aside to preserve Medicare’s future, instead they are used to fund new spending created by the law.
ObamaCare is creating an illusion economy – NYPost.com
- Health care is what Americans are spending most of their money on today — far more than they spend on housing and utilities combined. Or cars, furniture, food or fuel.
- Almost 90 percent of ObamaCare users get federal aid. As a result, a new CBO report projects ObamaCare subsidies will balloon to nearly $2 trillion over the next decade, only partially paid for by more than $640 billion in ObamaCare taxes and fines, which means more government borrowing and more upward pressure on interest rates.
- A government-funded flood of new patients, many of them forced into mandatory spending on services they didn’t previously want or need, may be good for the health care sector, but it drains revenue from other sectors of the economy. That means GDP won’t reach its full potential.
- In his State of the Union, Obama boasted he rescued the country from recession by rebuilding “our economy on a new foundation.” Unfortunately, that new foundation is government-run health care.
- A narrow majority of physicians say Obamacare has a negative impact on medical practice, including on the quality and cost of health care, according to a report from the Journal of the American Medical Association.
- Obamacare will entangle taxpayer funds in abortion coverage offered on state and federal exchanges and could force many Americans to unwittingly pay a surcharge for elective abortion.
The Definitive Guide to How Obamacare is Destroying American Lives-TheMattWalshBlog.com
- This is about people. People with kids, and bills, and health problems. This is about people who can no longer afford their health coverage, their mortgages, their lifesaving medication. This is about doctors and nurses leaving medicine behind, driven away by destructive bureaucratic interference. This is about moms and dads losing their jobs so that their employers can compensate for the financial burden of Obamacare. This is about people without insurance because of Obamacare, now being fined for not having insurance because of Obamacare. This is about business owners driven to the edge of bankruptcy.
OBAMA ADMINISTRATION: OBAMACARE MEANS PEOPLE CAN “PURSUE THEIR DREAMS,” NOT WORK – HertitageAction.com
- The Obama Administration’s latest argument for Obamacare is that some people don’t want to work, and Obamacare makes not working easier for those people.
What this means to liberal views:
- Most experts agree it would be almost impossible to repeal Obamacare, a complex law passed in 2009 that reforms many aspects of health care and health insurance. Studies have shown that 24 million people would lose health insurance coverage if that happened and companies would be free to return to unpopular practices such as denying coverage to sick people and kicking off customers who cost them too much.
- “Instead of repealing the law, I believe the next President and the next Congress should take what we’ve learned over the past six years and in a serious way analyze it, figure out what it is that needs to get done, and make the Affordable Care Act better and cover even more people,” Obama said.
Obamacare Explained (Like You’re An Idiot) – ABCNews.go.com
- Turns out a wonky website and warp-speed policy changes are the least of Obamacare’s problems. A big reason Americans have hesitated to sign up for health insurance is they don’t understand it.
Why Republicans Wouldn’t Actually Repeal Obamacare – Prospect.org
- It (repealing) would be a political disaster, but it hasn’t yet stopped them from trying.
- “We think they will ultimately be surprised by the affordability of the premiums, because the tax credits track with the increases in premiums,” said Kevin Griffis, assistant secretary for public affairs at the Department of Health and Human Services.
Obamacare Helped Millions Of Uninsured. It May Not Help Many More. – HuffingtonPost.com
- The Affordable Care Act is undoubtedly succeeding at one of its chief goals. But a closer look at the available data also suggests that this progress may have reached a plateau and that millions of the remaining uninsured are probably going to stay that way.
- “This is a classic ‘glass half empty/half full’ story. Half the uninsured are eligible for some help. On the one hand, that leaves you to believe that substantial progress can still be made,” Levitt said. “On the other hand, we’re two years into the program and those people haven’t availed themselves of that help yet,” he said.
- “We’re not doing a very good job of educating people about their options and, if anything, that’s probably going to get worse,” Levitt said. He noted that funding for outreach and enrollment programs is on the decline.
- Legally married same-sex couples are protected under the ACA regardless of what state they live in, even if those states do not recognize same-sex marriage.
Abortion in Obamacare – ObamaCareAbortion.com
- The Government Accountability Office (GAO) found that 1,036 of Obamacare plans sold in 2014 included abortion on demand.
- However, what is still not transparent is that individuals purchasing plans that include abortion are required to pay a monthly hidden abortion surcharge, the amount which remains unknown for each abortion-covering plan. Through the surcharge, a portion of each individual’s insurance premium goes into a separate fund used to pay for abortion on demand.
Transformed Foreign Relations
What this means to traditional views:
Barack Obama’s Revolution in Foreign Policy – TheAtlantic.com
- When you think you’re the smartest person in the room, it’s tempting to make up your own grand strategy.
- The president seems to think he is the smartest person in the world, perhaps ever.
- The president is also bluntly critical of traditional American allies. He is said to have told Prime Minister David Cameron that Britain “would no longer be able to claim a ‘special relationship’ with the United States” if it did not “pay [its] fair share” by increasing defense spending. The Pakistanis and the Saudis get especially short shrift here, as—predictably—does Israel.
- Which brings us to Syria, the central foreign-policy failure of the Obama presidency. The grim details of what has happened as the Syrian Civil War has escalated are all too familiar: a death toll of 470,000 according to the Syrian Center for Policy Research, nearly 4.8 million refugees according to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, and a flood of displaced persons and migrants arriving in Europe by sea at a rate of roughly 100,000 a month. Aside from the human suffering, the escalation of the conflict has had grave strategic consequences, not least of which has been the return of Russia to the region as a major player for the first time since the early 1970s.
- On August 30, 2013—after consulting only Denis McDonough, his chief of staff—he decided to call off planned air strikes against the Syrian government, telling McDonough of his “long-standing resentment: He was tired of watching Washington unthinkingly drift toward war in Muslim countries.”
- We see with Obama a full-blown revolution in American foreign policy: The foes shall become friends, and the friends foes.
- There is, however, a second reason why Obama downplays the threat posed by ISIS: He remains more worried about “the sort of panic … that would manifest itself in anti-Muslim xenophobia” than about Islamic extremism itself.
- If the arc of history is in fact bending toward Islamic extremism, sectarian conflict, networks of terrorism, and regional nuclear-arms races, then the 44th president will turn out to have been rather less smart than the foreign-policy establishment he so loftily disdains.
What this means to liberal views:
Barack Obama Is a Foreign Policy Grandmaster – TheNation.com
- In ways that have eluded Washington pundits and policymakers, President Barack Obama is deploying a subtle geopolitical strategy that, if successful, might give Washington a fighting chance to extend its global hegemony deep into the 21st century.
- Obama is revealing himself as one of those rare grandmasters who appear every generation or two with an ability to go beyond mere foreign policy and play that ruthless global game called geopolitics.
- Without proclaiming a presumptuously labeled policy such as “triangulation,” “the Nixon Doctrine,” or even a “freedom agenda,” Obama has moved step by step to repair the damage caused by a plethora of Washington foreign policy debacles, old and new, and then maneuvered deftly to rebuild America’s fading global influence.
- Moving from repair to revival, from past to future, President Obama has been using America’s status as the planet’s number one consumer nation to create a new version of dollar diplomacy.
- When grandmasters play the great game of geopolitics, there is, almost axiomatically, a certain sangfroid* to their moves, an indifference to any resulting collateral damage at home or abroad. (*sangfroid – composure or coolness, sometimes excessive, as shown in danger or under trying circumstances)
- In his determined pursuit of this grand strategy, Obama has revealed himself as one of the few US leaders since America’s rise to world power in 1898 who can play this particular great game of imperial domination with the requisite balance of vision and ruthlessness.
- Once we subject other American leaders to a similar calculus of costs and benefits, we are, surprisingly enough, left with just three grandmasters of geopolitics: Elihu Root, the original architect of America’s rise to global power; Zbigniew Brzezinski, national security adviser to President Carter, who shattered the Soviet Empire, making the United States the world’s sole superpower; and Barack Obama, who is defending that status and offering a striking imperial blueprint for how to check China’s rise. In each case, their maneuvers have been supple and subtle enough that they have eluded both contemporary observers and later historians.
Transformed National Defense
What this means to traditional views:
- “In vetoing this legislation, President Obama has made history, but for all the wrong reasons. He has become the first commander in chief willing to sacrifice national security by vetoing a bill that authorizes pay, benefits and training for U.S. troops, simply because he seeks leverage to pursue his domestic political agenda.”
- Politics is more important to this president than protecting our troops.
Obama’s legacy of global chaos, not peace – OneNewsNow.com
- Many considered it ironic that an award for bringing about peace was later bestowed to someone who incited the notorious escalation in violence witnessed throughout the “Arab Spring.”
- Dubbed as “the world apology tour” by critics, Obama traveled to numerous countries to condemn the United States for its past efforts aimed at ensuring global security amidst a world riddled with hostile Islamic nations.
- Obama was quick to defend his pro-Muslim policies as commander-in-chief, arguing that calling out the violence as being inspired by Islamic beliefs creates problems, rather than solve them.
- Another low point of Obama’s foreign policy that is predicted to stay with him for decades to come is the diminished partnership between the U.S. and Israel.
- Obama’s unprecedented support of Iran to drop sanctions and not stop its nuclear program is also expected to go down in history.
- Contradicting the claim Obama made seven years ago that his interaction with Muslim leaders works to improve global security interests, conservatives and other opponents of Obama’s foreign policy maintain that his actions have actually spurred more violence … and will continue to do so.
Obama’s Syria Legacy Is a Betrayal of ‘Who We Are’ – WeeklyStandard.com
- Obama came to office determined to reach a deal with Iran on nuclear weapons at any cost. Obama made clear to the Iranians we’d tolerate their misbehavior in the region, so long as they gave him a deal. He told the Russians that he’d look past their expansionism if they backed the Iran deal. He called for Bashar al-Assad to go, but he made clear to the Iranians that the United States was unwilling to do anything to push their client out.
- Obama’s single-minded pursuit of one legacy-defining accomplishment, the Iran deal, ensures that his legacy will be forever blackened by the tragedy of Syria. His presidency will be remembered as a time when America brushed aside its responsibility as a leader, ignored its responsibility to our fellow human beings, and turned a blind eye to the atrocities in Aleppo and elsewhere.
- One of the nation’s leading experts on military experts calls the Obama administration’s policy of allowing transgender troops to serve openly “more than irresponsible” and says the impact of the administration’s fiscal and social policies on the nation’s Armed Forces is “devastating.”
- From this policy to Obama allowing homosexuals to serve openly to the Pentagon backing women serving in ground combat and even being forced to register for the draft, Donnelly said the Obama years have had a profound impact on the military. “(It’s) devastating. What’s harming our military is not just the resources being taken away, but the social burdens being loaded on,” Donnelly said.
What this means to liberal views:
Obama the Carpenter: The President’s National Security Legacy – Brookings.edu
- By the standards he has set out for himself, President Barack Obama’s foreign policy has fallen considerably short of expectations and aspirations.
- Obama has been judicious on most key crises of the day.
- Obama’s discipline has often been quite wise and quite beneficial to the nation, especially in regard to Russia, China, and Iran.
- This historic move is one of many steps the Obama administration has taken to advance the rights of the LGBT community in the armed forces. In 2010, the President signed a law ending the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy that prohibited gays and lesbians from serving openly in the military, and earlier this year, the President moved to allow those who identify as transgender to openly serve as well.
President Barack Obama defends record on national security – NewsWeek.com
- In his final major speech on counterterrorism as president, Obama argued that his administration had been able to make al Qaeda “a shadow of its former self” and had put Islamic State on its heels, but said terrorism would remain a threat to the United States.
- Obama said his administration’s approach of providing support to local partners and not undertaking massive ground invasions has been effective and is making progress in the fight to take Mosul in Iraq from Islamic State.
- Krugman’s case in a nutshell: Though Obama’s hasn’t been able to elevate the national discourse through empathy and understanding, and his surveillance-state policies are troubling, he’s done an excellent job domestically digging out from the situation he inherited and pointing the country in the right direction for the future.
- I would say is that even if Obama is just an ordinary president on national security issues, that’s a huge improvement over what came before and what we would have had if John McCain or Mitt Romney had won. It’s hard to get excited about a policy of not going to war gratuitously, but it’s a big deal compared with the alternative.
Obama hails end of U.S. military restrictions on gays – Reuters.com
- President Barack Obama on Tuesday hailed the end of the policy banning gays from serving openly in the armed forces, as the Pentagon vowed “zero tolerance” for harassment of homosexuals in the military.
Transformed the Economy
What this means to traditional views:
7 Facts That Show Obama’s Economic Recovery Has Been AWFUL – DailyWire.com
- The Obama recovery has had a record number of quarters where economic growth has been two percent or lower. Overall, the real GDP growth rate for the Obama economy has been right at two percent–the worst economic recovery since World War II, according to the Congressional Research Service. There has not been a single year under Obama in which the annual growth rate has been at three percent, which is unprecedented for an American president.
- The average real GDP growth of recoveries rate prior to the Obama recovery was 4.3 percent. If the Obama recovery had been right in line with that 4.3 percent, the country would be $2.2 trillion richer today, according to Investor’s Business Daily.
- The most recent labor participation rate was 62.7 percent, with slightly more than 94.5 million Americans out of the work force. Back in September, the participation rate was 62.3 percent–the lowest in nearly 40 years.
- The number of jobs created under the Obama economy has not kept up with the working age population. Obama and Clinton have claimed that there have been nearly 15 million jobs in the private sector created under Obama, and if that number is taken at face value, it doesn’t quite come close to the growth of the working age population of 15.8 million at around the same time frame. But the job gap is likely worse than that.
- There has been a decline in business startups and investment. According to Time, there has been a decline of “entrepreneurial activity” from 14 percent in 2014 to 12 percent in 2015, when the four preceding years featured positive growth. In May 2015, The Wall Street Journal’s Thomas J. Duesterberg and Donald A. Norman described capital investment as “historically weak,” citing the burdensome corporate tax rates and regulations as the reason for the weak amount of investment. This is an important metric since investment is one of the key forces behind economic growth.
- There has also been a decline of real household family income. According to Conservative Review, the decline went from $57,000 in 2007 to $53,700 in 2014. Naturally, it follows that the home ownership rate has declined to a near 48-year low.
- There has also been a spike of Americans on food stamps. Conservative Review also used data from the Congressional Budget Office to show that the number of Americans food stamps has increased from 26.5 million in 2007 to 44.5 million in 2016. That is a decline from 47.7 million in 2013, but still much higher than pre-recession levels.
Obama’s Pretty Words Cannot Beautify His Ugly Economy – NationalReview.com
- As more and more Americans stop looking for work, the Labor Force Participation Rate on Obama’s watch has fallen from 65.7 percent to 62.8 percent, a level last measured before Obama in March 1978. Since Obama took office, this metric has slid 4.1 percent.
- Annualized GDP growth nearly stalled in the first quarter at a meager 0.5 percent. This is down from already tepid 1.4 percent growth in the fourth quarter of 2015.
- Obama is the only U.S. chief executive in history not to preside over even a single year with 3 percent GDP growth, as the Institute for Policy Innovation’s Tom Giovanetti observes:
‘From 1790 to 2000, U.S. real GDP growth averaged 3.79 percent,’ entrepreneur Louis Woodhill explained at RealClearMarkets. He expects final figures to show that ‘2015 will have been the tenth year in a row that real GDP growth came in at under 3.0 percent.’
- During the Obama years, the number of Americans below the poverty line is up 3.5 percent.
- Real median household income: down 2.3 percent. Americans on Food Stamps — 33 million then, 46 million now: up 39.5 percent.
- Americans who own homes: down 5.6 percent.
- National debt — $10.63 trillion then vs. $19.19 trillion last Wednesday: up 80.5 percent.
- Insurance companies are fleeing Obamacare’s exchanges. Amid $650 million in expected losses this year, UnitedHealth announced that it would medevac itself out of all but “a handful” of its 34 state markets. The percentage of families in which no one is employed has grown from 17.8 in 2008 to 19.7 in 2015, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports.
- Americans are suffering “the awful legacy of the last eight years,” Bill Clinton said in March. He explained on April 26, “The problem is, 80 percent of the American people are still living on what they were living on the day before the crash [of 2008]. And about half the American people, after you adjust for inflation, are living on what they were living on the last day I was president, 15 years ago. So that’s what’s the matter.”
What this means to liberal views:
- Obama has vigorously defended his economic record over the last eight years, starting with his administration’s response to the worst economic crisis in nearly a century. That record includes signing the 2009 Recovery Act, reversing a wave of layoffs that peaked at more than 800,000 in a single month.
- “Anybody who says we are not absolutely better off today than we were just seven years ago — they’re not leveling with you,” Obama said in February. “They’re not telling the truth. By almost every economic measure, we are significantly better off.”
Obama’s gift to Trump: A ‘pretty solid’ economy – Money.CNN.com
- Unemployment is at its lowest level since 2007.
- Home prices are back at all-time highs.
- Growth is picking up. The economy expanded at a 3.2% annual rate from July through September.
- Even the middle class is (finally) getting a raise in pay.
- President Obama has a good record on the economy and played the cards he was dealt quite well.
- Positive developments have contributed to the fact that the typical family saw the largest gain in income last year of any year on record, the poverty rate fell by the most since the 1960s, and real wage gains in this business cycle have outpaced every business cycle since the 1970s.
- President Obama’s job creation kept unemployment from peaking at as high a level as President Reagan, and promoted people into the workforce faster than President Reagan.
- The Obama administration has still done considerably better at job creating and reducing unemployment than did the Reagan administration.
- It is undeniable that President Obama has surpassed the previous president. Investors have gained a remarkable 220% over the last 5.5 years! This level of investor growth is unprecedented by any administration, and has proven quite beneficial for everyone.
What this means to traditional views:
The Real Obama Education Legacy – NationalAffairs.com
- Despite the soaring rhetoric and heady promises, however, education reform during Obama’s tenure has disappointed in practice.
- Obama has pursued a polarizing, bureaucratized, and Washington-centric education agenda while exploiting and then draining a substantial reservoir of bipartisan goodwill.
- Obama’s action consisted of allowing states to ignore some of NCLB’s more incoherent mandates — the most important being the provision that required states, starting in 2014, to initiate federally mandated interventions at any school where less than 100% of students were proficient in reading and math.
- When it comes to the critically important and symbolically potent issue of education, the notion that the Obama administration’s approach has been post-partisan, pragmatic, and measured is a myth.
- Obama’s education-reform agenda amounted to a stimulus-funded race to bureaucracy, a call to do for higher education what the Affordable Care Act has done for health care, a push to expand Washington’s role, and a carte blanche for the aggressive lawyers at the U.S. Department of Education.
- A go-it-alone combativeness and indifference to coalition-building were not unintended side effects of the Obama strategy; they were essential features of it. After all, Obama operated with an unusual assurance that he knew how to fix complex social problems and the belief that there was no time to waste.
- Obama’s education legacy shows that good ideas executed poorly can prove not to be such good ideas after all.
What this means to liberal views:
Obama Education Legacy – EdReformNow.org
- President Barack Obama has changed education for millions of Americans over the course of his tenure. We think he deserves an enormous amount of credit for raising the bar and expanding educational opportunity, arguably more than any President in recent memory.
- President Obama invested more in student financial aid than any American President in history.
Grading Obama on Education Reform – TheEdAdvocate.org
- Obama has promoted education equity and held all children to the same high standards.
- Given the nature and sheer number of challenges, his administration has done a great deal to foster positive change and progress with education reforms like Race to the Top and Promise Neighborhoods.
- Overall, therefore, I think the president deserves an A, which reflects his solid education reform record as Commander-in-Chief.
Transformed Illegal Immigration
What this means to traditional views:
The Many Illegal Immigration Failures of the Obama Administration – DailySignal.com
- The Obama administration is secretly delaying deportations for several years.
- Since 2014, over 56,000 immigrants from Central America have had their deportations intentionally delayed.
- Many illegal immigrants are and were instructed simply to “show up” in court or Immigration and Customs Enforcement offices at a later date.
- At least 1,700 immigrants, who should have been deported, were accidentally granted citizenship by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
- The Obama administration continues its nonenforcement policies with abandon.
- Delayed deportations, wrongly granting citizenship, and hiding statistics compromise our immigration system. There is no excuse for such negligence and failure.
- The solicitor general calls what Obama is doing “prosecutorial discretion.” He argues that under this particular type of “prosecutorial discretion,” the executive can make millions of people in this country illegally eligible for Social Security, disability and Medicare.
- At issue is the policy the administration calls Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents, which would allow aliens in this country illegally who are parents of citizens or lawful permanent residents to stay in the United States. “DAPA would deem over four million unlawfully present aliens as ‘lawfully present’ and eligible for work authorization,” says the Texas brief. “And ‘lawful presence’ is an immigration classification established by Congress that is necessary for valuable benefits, such as Medicare and Social Security.”
- The Obama administration is using a taxpayer-funded program to provide business support to undocumented immigrants from El Salvador that were deported from the U.S.
- The Obama administration has given $50,000 in taxpayer money to illegal immigrants who were deported from the U.S. back to their home country of El Salvador.
- The Obama administration is delaying deportation proceedings for recent immigrants in cities across the United States, allowing more than 56,000 of those who fled Central America since 2014 to remain in the country legally for several more years.
- If you have a family where some people are citizens or legally here, and others are not documented, the immigration people will never get that information,” Obama said on Locura Deportiva, a radio show on the sports channel Univision Deportes.
- Addressing a recurring concern among Latinos with “mixed family [immigration] status,” Obama noted during his Tuesday appearance that Obamacare enrollees would qualify “regardless of what your family’s status is.”
- Johnson recently conceded to a congressional hearing that the administration’s unique border security metrics inflate deportation figures because they include “turn-backs” at the border”.
What this means to liberal views:
- Deportations increased under President Obama, at first.
Deportations, or “removals” as the Department of Homeland Security calls them, increased in each of the first four years President Obama was in office, topping 400,000 in fiscal year 2012.
- Deportations have dipped in the past three years.
Deportations peaked in fiscal year 2012, and have declined in each of the three years since then, dropping to 235,413 in fiscal year 2015. The decline in deportations mirrors a drop in apprehensions along the southwest border with Mexico
- Odds of deportation depend a lot on geography and timing.
President Obama’s approach to immigration enforcement is really two very different approaches: one for those caught near the border, the other for immigrants found living illegally in the interior. It has focused its enforcement efforts on particular targets: namely those caught near the border, those who’ve committed crimes and those who appear to have arrived in 2014 or later.
- Illegal immigration from Mexico has dropped in recent years, but many from Central America still attempt to cross.
Border Patrol apprehensions, which the government sees as a barometer of illegal border-crossing attempts, have been dropping for the past decade and a half. The Border Patrol apprehended 337,117 people nationwide in fiscal year 2015. That’s down nearly 30 percent from the previous year and nearly 80 percent below the peak in 2000.
- The administration has used its discretion to shape immigration enforcement, except when the federal courts said no.
In 2012, the administration granted a temporary reprieve from deportation to certain immigrants who were brought to this country illegally as children. More than 600,000 young people took advantage of the offer, which also enabled them to obtain work permits.
Obama Has Deported More People Than Any Other President – ABCNews.go.com
- President Barack Obama has often been referred to by immigration groups as the “Deporter in Chief.”
- According to governmental data, the Obama administration has deported more people than any other president’s administration in history. In fact, they have deported more than the sum of all the presidents of the 20th century.
The aforementioned links give us a glimpse of President Obama’s effect on our nation. They tell us of how the president has been perceived by both sides. They help us understand the historical significance of his presidency. These are all actions and results that affect this country not only during his term in office but for years to come.
What I find amazing is how two sides can view the same President and his accomplishments / disappointments in completely different ways. There are obvious biases that cannot be ignored. History will determine how Obama will eventually be remembered. But again, it will be the bias of the historian(s) that will have the last say.
It is difficult to ignore the fact that President Obama has definitely redefined the country. For conservatives, it is a difficult pill to swallow. Obama has reshaped the social and political landscape of the country that America may never recover from. Social conservatives and Christians alike have taken a backseat while Obama advanced his narrative of social reengineering.
For liberals, it’s progress. They never saw America as being the country they were satisfied with and wanted someone to change it. Obama has done just that. Never mind the fact that the United States was the last great American experiment that differentiated it from how the other countries in the world operated. Eventually it’ll be unrecognizable as its former self but identifiable as just another country under Socialism.
Thanks to President Barack Obama, America may never again be the exceptional standard of a Democratic Republic. America may continue in its decline toward irrelevancy, which may well suit Obama and his ilk. America is weak and vulnerable now. All it is going to take is one dramatic event for another country to come in and take over and redefine America for its purposes.
But not all the blame can be laid at President Obama’s feet. America has been on the decline for years. The American people have become lazy and complacent. They pursue sports, games, celebrities, violence, and immorality with passion and vigor. Taking an interest in education, morals and ethics, and hard work have taken a back seat.
More importantly, and to be quite honest most importantly, is America’s apathy toward Jesus Christ and the fear of God. The United States has made many mistakes throughout its history. But the one thing, its reverence toward Almighty God, is perhaps the number one reason why the country had been successful for so long. Despite our sinful nature, God showed grace toward America because His Name was prominent in the hearts of His people. Today that has changed.
At the beginning, I mentioned how some say that no one has ever proved a scandal against President Obama. Proof is an elusive concept. In the links above, there is no doubt that Obama authored and directed those policies. The results of those policies are on him.
But with scandals, as in a court of law, everyone demands proof. Where is the smoking gun? Where is the recorded evidence directing the criminal act? What happens in court when there is no direct evidence? If the perpetrator threw the gun in a fiery furnace and melts the evidence, does the court dismiss the case? Does a criminal get away with his crime? No, of course not.
Just as in a court of law where people are tried based on circumstantial evidence, the same can be applied to President Obama and all the scandals that occurred under his administration. He is the CEO, the one in charge, and all the reckless behavior, directly or indirectly, is the result of how he does business.
The sad thing is that there will never be true accountability to these scandals. Just like when the mafia was at its prime in the mid twentieth century, they were able to manipulate justice by infiltrating the justice system and make it work for them. In much the same way, President Obama has used the Justice Department of his administration to cover up, dismiss, and manipulate evidence for his purposes.
All of this could not have been done without the woeful neglect and misconduct of the other branches of the government that could have and should have kept the President’s powers in check. The Congress has become inept and the Supreme Court has itself overreached its authority with legislating from the bench. With the branches of government out of step with its true intended purposes, and with the main stream media being his accomplices, Obama has been able to distance himself from scrutiny and prosecution.
There is however one branch of government that Obama has not been able to completely dismiss. Even though Obama has contempt for this branch and uses the bully pulpit and main stream media to manipulate it, he cannot completely veil himself from its power. Though this branch is limited in its authority, there is none like it elsewhere in the world. That is the power of the electoral system.
Over the course of the last eight years, if there is no clearer evidence of how the electoral system views the president’s performance and actions, it’s in the results of the shift of power within the government and the loss of seats for the Democratic Party.
How badly has the Obama era damaged the Democratic party? – WashingPost.com
- Under President Obama, Democrats have lost 900+ state legislature seats, 12 governors, 69 House seats, 13 Senate seats. That’s some legacy.
About those scandals. Let’s take a look at what those are. There are those who believe Obama had no hand in them. If that’s true, then that only means President Obama was a really bad CEO who had no control of the people working for him. Which is it?
- Operation Fast and Furious. “Operation Fast and Furious involved the Obama administration arming drug cartels and thugs south of the border as a means to undermine the Second Amendment. The program resulted in the death of U.S. Border Patrol agent Brian Terry. One of the Islamic terrorists in the Garland, Texas, attack also used a gun that was obtained through the Fast and Furious program.”
The attempt to cover up the fatal program resulted in Obama’s first AG being held in contempt of Congress:
Then-Attorney General Eric Holder was held in contempt of Congress for stonewalling investigations into Operation Fast and Furious, and President Barack Obama further stonewalled the investigations by wrongly asserting executive privilege. On Tuesday, a federal judge threw out Obama’s executive privilege assertion on the grounds that the Justice Department “has already publicly revealed the sum and substance of the very material it is now seeking to withhold. Since any harm that would flow from the disclosures sought here would be merely incremental, the records must be produced.
It has also been revealed that Joaquin Guzman, better known as the drug lord “El Chapo,” acquired a .50 caliber rifle as a result of Fast and Furious.
- Benghazi. The terror attacks in Benghazi, Libya resulted in four brave Americans dying despite the fact that help could have been sent, but wasn’t. Requests for security prior to the attack were repeatedly denied, and after the attack Obama and Hillary Clinton falsely blamed it on a video considered offensive to Muslims. During the election, Benghazi became associated with Clinton—and rightly so—but it is also Obama’s scandal as well. It is still not known what Obama was doing that night.
- The IRS targeted conservative organizations. In 2013, Lois Lerner, who directed the Internal Revenue Service’s Exempt Organizations Unit, admitted that Tea Party organizations were targeted under the agency, but blamed it on lower-level employees. Such organizations were heavily scrutinized with invasive questions. Since then, Lerner and IRS commissioner John Koskinen have denied any wrongdoing and have stonewalled congressional efforts to investigate the matter, citing computer crashes for being unable to turn over related emails.
Meanwhile, a federal court concluded in August that conservative groups might still be facing targeted scrutiny from the IRS. It has also been reported that the Department of Justice (DOJ) knew about the IRS’s targeting of conservative groups as early as 2011.
- The DOJ seized Associated Press phone records as well as phone and email records from Fox News reporter James Rosen. In the AP’s case, the DOJ was investigating a story involving “a CIA operation in Yemen that foiled an al-Qaeda plot in the spring of 2012 to set off a bomb on an airplane headed to the United States,” according to the Washington Post. The DOJ seized two months of phone records from the AP without informing the news outlet.
“There can be no possible justification for such an overbroad collection of the telephone communications of The Associated Press and its reporters,” Gary Pruitt, president of the AP wrote to Holder at the time. “These records potentially reveal communications with confidential sources across all of the newsgathering activities undertaken by the AP during a two-month period, provide a road map to AP’s newsgathering operations, and disclose information about AP’s activities and operations that the government has no conceivable right to know.”
In the Rosen case, the DOJ was investigating a story Rosen did involving North Korea and tracked “his movements and conversations,” according to Fox News, including phone numbers belonging to Rosen’s parents. The DOJ had listed Rosen as a “co-conspirator” under the Espionage Act in regards to the story—allegedly pressing a source for classified information. Rosen was never charged with a crime.
Fox News executive Michael Clemente called the DOJ’s actions against Rosen “downright chilling.” “We will unequivocally defend [Rosen’s] right to operate as a member of what up until now has always been a free press,” Clemente said in a statement, per the Washington Post.
- The NSA conducted mass surveillance against American citizens without a warrant. Thanks to leaking from former government contractor Edward Snowden, it was revealed that the National Security Agency had been conducting mass surveillance against American citizens—a clear violation of the Fourth Amendment. In 2015, the NSA eventually ended their bulk data collection of phone records.
- The Obama administration paid ransom to Iran for hostages, and lied to the American people about it. As the Daily Wire has explained, the Obama administration claimed that they were giving a total of $1.7 billion to Iran to settle a failed arms deal with the previous Iranian regime, and it just happened to coincide with the release of four American hostages. The Obama administration also didn’t reveal the details of the agreement to Congress. It was obvious though that it was a ransom deal and the Obama administration lied about it.
- Hillary’s email scandal. Clinton’s use of a private email server that was unapproved and unsecured has been written about extensively, but it is also Obama’s scandal as well, since it has been revealed that not only did Obama know about her private email server, he also communicated with her under the use of a pseudonym. If their email exchanges involved classified information, then Obama also would have violated the Espionage Act.
- The Environmental Protection Agency poisoned a Colorado river. The EPA breached the Gold King mine in the state and “mistakenly dug at the bottom” as well as didn’t test for pressure, leading to “three million gallons of toxic mine waste” being dumped into a river, according to The Daily Caller. The EPA has not been held accountable for this.
- The EPA also broke federal law in promoting a regulation. The Daily Wire reported in 2015 that the nonpartisan Government Accountability Office concluded that the EPA broke the law in using Thunderclap to tout their “Waters of the United States” regulation as well as their use of “hyperlinks to the [Natural Resources Defense Council] and Surfrider Foundation webpages provided in the EPA blog post.”
- The GSA scandal. The General Services Administration was busted in 2012 for spending $823,000 on an extravagantly decadent conference in Las Vegas, and it became a shining example of government waste. Several people in the agency were fired, with one facing an indictment. Despite the scandal, lavish spending still occurred within federal agencies under the Obama administration.
- The Secret Service scandal. The Secret Service was caught in 2012 engaging with prostitutes during a trip to Cartegena, Columbia, with one Secret Service agent emailing another: “Swagg cologne-check/Pimp gear-check/ Swagg sunglasses-check/Cash fo dem hoes-check.” They “also left sensitive government documents unprotected in their Cartagena rooms,” according to The Daily Caller.
But let’s move beyond the scandals. As bad as they were, Obama’s policies have had and will continue to have a significant effect for years to come. According to an article on FreedomOutpost.com, the following is The Fruit of Obamaism.
The USA has had the unchallenged number one economy in world since 1872 (when we passed the United Kingdom). 1872. Eighteen hundred and seventy two. Let that sink in for a while.
That is 142 years of world dominance erased in only six years under one man’s leadership.
As of May 2014, under Obama’s watch:
- Canada just passed America for the crown of number one middle class in the world. This is the first time in modern history that America’s middle class isn’t leading the world. This was reported by the Obama-loving New York Times.
- There are now more food stamp recipients than the number of women working full-time in America.
- The average full-time male employee now earns less (adjusted for inflation) than 40 years ago.
- There are now 70 percent more Americans collecting entitlement checks than working in the private sector (148 million “takers” vs. 86 million “makers”). This isn’t a conservative opinion. It’s a fact provided by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- The number of working-age Americans not in the labor force is at all-time highs.
- The workplace participation rate of men is the lowest in history.
- The workforce participation rate of women is the lowest on record.
- The workforce participation rate for black Americans is the lowest in history.
- Over 800,000 Americans dropped out of the job market last month. That’s almost one million people who have given up…in a month.
There is Obama’s legacy in a nutshell. It pretty much sizes up how he has drastically changed the country like he promised. Does America have any hope of returning to greatness? Maybe. But one thing is for sure is that Obama has left an indelible impression.
Social reengineering? Check.
National defense and security? Check.
Scandals and impropriety? Check.
Obstruction of justice? Check.
You name it, President Obama has made his mark on it. Just how that affects the United States in the years to come remains to be seen.